The countdown has officially begun! At Route 66 next week — Thursday, June 2nd — we are officially celebrating 10 years of Swing Dancing in Dublin! Huzzah! So do please come on out and help us celebrate on what should be a fantastic night! Here’s what we have planned:
1) Dress-up night! Be sure to wear your most fab Swingin’ duds!
2) A whole host of fantastic guest DJs!
3) Swingin’ on the big screen! As many of you know, the program Capital D featuring all of Dublin’s fabulous swingers (and some others besides!) will be showing on Thursday at 7 p.m. It is our hope that you’ll be able to come down to the Turk’s Head early and watch it with us on the big screen! ==:D Our own little viewing party! Bring your own popcorn! (Note that this is to be confirmed; we’ll be letting everyone know for sure when it’s finalised. Also, the viewing will be taking place instead of the usual improvers lesson.)
4) Expect all your favourite “party piece” dances as well: Shim Sham, snowball, perhaps a Jitterbug Stroll…
5) And, saving the best for last… Introducing Balboa and Blues! There is a space in the basement bar that the Turk’s Head are permitting us to use to expand our dancing options. It’s only small, but that’s just perfect for these two hot dances! From 9:00 until 10:15(ish), there will be hot and fast Balboa dancing. Then, from 10:15(ish) until closing time (how late depends on you guys, as usual), we’ll have hot and mellow Blues dancing to bring the night to a groovy end. This is all IN ADDITION to the usual swing nonsense that will be going on in the main area upstairs! So you can have a few swingouts upstairs, drop down to the basement for a bit of Bal, fly back upstairs for a bit more swing, head down again for blues later on… And all at NO EXTRA COST to you guys! Best of all, the plan is to have Swing upstairs and Bal/Blues downstairs EVERY WEEK from now on! Talk about more bang for your buck! Huzzaaaaah!!! (Why do I suddenly feel like a used car salesman?)
So here’s the official rundown for the night:
Pre-7:00 p.m.: Get dressed up and make way to Turk’s Head
7:00-7:30: Watch Capital D on the big screen (TBC), observe much swingin’ coolness
7:30-8:00: A bit of social dancing to get you going. Alternatively, the Turk’s Head serve some really nice food if you didn’t have time to eat beforehand
8:00-8:45: Beginners lesson
8:45-finish (sometime after 11): Swing as usual upstairs
9:00-10:15(ish): Balboa downstairs
10:15(ish)-finish (sometime after 11): Blues downstairs
Looking forward to a great night, and hope you are too!
All the best,